8 Simple Exercise Routines to Fit into Your Busy Life
Do you think that you don't have time to fit exercise into your busy lifestyle? Well, think again! Here are eight simple routines that are easy to do and – best of all – they don't take much time. Just spend 10 minutes or less on these easy activities, and a new, healthier lifestyle will be yours!
As always, be sure to check with your doctor before starting any new exercise routine.
Surely you can fit these fun, healthy activities into your busy life:
1. Jump rope. If you haven't tried jumping rope lately, now is the time to give this fun and refreshing exercise a try. Purchase a jump rope or fashion your own from any sturdy piece of string. Start slowly and gradually increase both your speed and intensity. You can perform this heart-healthy exercise a few times a day for maximum exercise benefits.
2. Climb stairs. Did you know that staircase in your home or workplace is a mini-gym in disguise? Take advantage of this exercise opportunity whenever you have a few extra minutes to spare. Climbing stairs builds strength and gets your heart pumping.
Listen to music or an audiobook while going up and down the stairs. Before you know it, you'll be looking forward to your climbing sessions!
3. Dance to the music. Don't be shy! Turn up your favourite music and dance with abandon! Dancing is not only fun, but it's also a terrific form of exercise. Professional dancers are more fit than many professional athletes!
4. Bounce on a mini-trampoline—no doubt about it. Trampolines are just plain fun! You can buy mini-trampolines at many chain stores, sporting goods stores, or online. Pull out your trampoline and spend just five minutes jumping away. You may enjoy this exercise so much that you'll increase the amount of time you have available for your exercise routine.
5. Quick callisthenics. Everyone has, at one time or another, practised callisthenics. Now is the time to remember those lunges, knee bends and jumping jacks of days gone by! Finding just five minutes in your hectic day to practice one or more of these callisthenics exercise routines can make a big difference in your health.
6. Lift weights. Many exercise routines neglect that all-important need to increase upper body strength. Lifting weights solves that problem. Depending on your size and fitness level, choose the amount of weight appropriate for you. Start with lighter weights, and as you spend time on a daily routine, gradually increase the amount of weight you can handle.
7. Walk faster. Will you be walking the dog later today or perhaps walking from your car into the shopping mall? Picking up your walking speed will also increase your fitness level. Walking of any kind is always a good thing, but walking faster enhances the exercise benefits you receive from it.
8. Practice balance. Good balance is part of any healthy lifestyle. The more you practice, the easier it is to maintain balance in your exercise routine and daily life. Practising balance requires only a few minutes a day and, best of all, can be practised anywhere with no special equipment.
- Stand a few feet from a wall or other supporting structure and raise one foot off the ground, placing that foot gently on your other ankle or calf. Maintain balance as long as you can. Repeat with the other foot.
- With daily practice, you'll notice a gradual increase in the amount of time you can keep your balance.
By following just a few of these quick and straightforward exercise routines, you'll be on your way to a healthier and happy lifestyle. Don't wait for tomorrow. Start now!