One of the greatest gifts you can give yourself is learning to master the art of self-discipline. Learning how to tell yourself no is an important step to become a stronger, wiser and more mature person.
While practicing self-discipline isn't easy, there are many benefits to mastering this art of personal control:
- Self-discipline can help you achieve your goals and realize your dreams. Many times, achieving the goals you set for yourself requires you to sacrifice time, money and energy you might prefer to spend on other things. Are you willing to have this dedication?
- Self-discipline helps you get more done. By cutting out time wasters in your day, you can accomplish more every day and reach your goal sooner. Without the self-discipline to stick to a task, you can be easily distracted by less important details. Are you willing to remove these distractions?
- Self-discipline helps you have greater focus. By shutting out the things that take you away from your work, you can focus on what is most important. You can't say yes to everything and everyone; you must be able to focus on one thing at a time and do it well.
Focus is nearly impossible to achieve without self-discipline, and goals are nearly impossible to achieve without focus. Are you willing to focus intensely on your goals?
The keys to self-discipline are simple. If you make a commitment to someone, keep it. If you make a commitment to yourself, guard it with your life!
- If you break a commitment to yourself, remember that you are human. You need to prioritize your commitments to yourself in the same way you prioritize other people's needs.
Part of self-discipline is self-respect. In order to live the life you truly desire, you need to care for yourself properly.
Respect every part of yourself:
1. Respect your body. Pay attention to the signals your body sends you. Were masterfully created, and your body will tell you when something is out of balance. Listen to the signals and treat yourself with VIP handling to be the strongest and most productive you can be!
- Consider adding exercise or yoga to your daily routine to help you achieve balance in your body and mind.
2. Nurture your mind by filling it with positive, engaging information.
- Read books for the sheer joy of learning.
- Engage in meaningful discussions with people of all backgrounds and philosophies.
- Avoid negative people and conversations.
- Listen to joyful, uplifting music instead of letting the television flood your mind with commercialism and negativity.
3. Respect the spiritual part of yourself. It's important to feel connected to something larger than you are. Connect with your Creator by meditating, praying or spending time in nature.
- Attend worship services at a local church, if thats part of your belief system.
- Allow the spiritual side of yourself to become stronger and more important to you.
- Base decisions on the greater good rather than simply what feels good at the time.
4. Respect your physical health. Taking good care of your health requires self-discipline. Your body will help you accomplish amazing things if you treat it properly!
- Eat a healthy diet.
- Get plenty of rest and exercise.
- Strive to maintain a healthy weight.
- Refuse to smoke.
- Avoid over indulging in caffeine or alcohol.
5. Respect your time. This includes your work time, family time, playtime and personal time. Make space in your life for every area. Schedule family time and alone time just as you do work time and other obligations.
- By adding everything to your written agenda, you create a priority within yourself and self-discipline helps you stick to your priorities.
If you want to live your life to the fullest and achieve your goals, self-discipline is a must. Learning how to control your impulses and make strong decisions is one of the best things you can do for yourself. Self-discipline can bring you the life you always wanted.