Confucius once said, “Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.”
If we make life complicated and fill it up with a bunch “stuff”, how can we ever focus on what matters most?
Many of us are running around trying to squeeze everything we can out of life when, in fact, we'd be a whole lot happier and healthier if we savoured the beauty of simplicity!
Here are some tips you can use today to simplify your life:
- When you eliminate the clutter around you, you'll gain a deeper appreciation for the things that are dearest to you.
- Ask yourself: When was the last time I read the stack of books piled up on the floor? When did I last notice the details on one of those little trinkets I got while on vacation? When did I last wear the scarf lying on the closet floor? Give this stuff to someone who needs it!
- De-cluttering will allow you to enjoy the things that truly matter to you. Plus, you'll feel a sense of relief with an organized working and living space.
- Food is another aspect of your life that can be simplified in many ways. Instead of worrying about the next bite, enjoy the taste of the food that's already in your mouth. Savour it. Let it all sink in and try to taste each flavour.
- Also, consider the ingredients in your food. Take the time to use quality ingredients instead of processed or chemically enhanced foods. The result will taste better, and your body and mind will thank you for the nourishment!
- Think of all the gizmos and gadgets in your life. Do you use them all? Do you even use half of them?
- The more stuff we have to “connect” us, the more we become disconnected! Take the headphones out of your ears, turn off the car radio, and put down your cell phone. Instead of trying to be always connected, communicate with those around you. Nothing is more satisfying than a rewarding conversation or a family fun night!
- A cluttered mind steers you away from what's most important. The reality is that simple ideas are almost always better. By simplifying your thinking, you open your mind to new possibilities.
- A simplified mind doesn't mean you aren't thinking; it just means that you're choosing to focus on one thing with greater clarity.
- When your attention is split in several directions, it's tough to make rational decisions. And if you're dwelling in the past or worrying about the future, how can you live in the moment? Release distractions from your mind, and you'll not only feel better, but you'll regain a sense of peace within you.
- If you're trying to jam a week into a single day, you'll feel a tension that will tug you away from where you're meant to be. Instead of wondering what's next, savour the here and now.
- Eliminate some of the clutter in your hectic schedule and do what's best for you and your family, not everyone else.
Living life simply is enriching. When you do so, you eliminate many useless cares and focus on what's really important to you. Give it a try!