Create a Vision for Your Life Today
You've probably heard that you can only get where you want to be if you know where you're going. This pithy statement is as true now as the first time it was said. So how do you come to know where you're going, so you can get where you want to be?
To start with, goals are crucial. When we set goals, what we're really trying to do is to bring each piece of our lives in line with our overall vision for ourselves. Using a powerful vision-setting process can help you set more effective goals since you can chart a course that will take you toward and support your vision.
Do you have a vision for each segment of your life? Do you know where you're headed spiritually, socially, relationally, physically, financially, and more?
Use this process to help you create a vision that works for you:
1. Write down your vision for a particular aspect of your life. Write a couple of paragraphs describing what you'd like to have or be. There's no right or wrong. In fact, you probably won't precisely articulate your dreams the very first time you try the exercise. A reasonable guess is a good place to start.
- In writing your vision, avoid focusing on what you don't want because this will only bring about more of that. Turn your back on negativity and focus on what you do want to bring about.
- For example, if you want more money: Avoid wording your statement like: “I don't want to be poor anymore.” Instead, envision what it would be like to be rich, which is what you want, and write about what that would be like for you.
- Although you may feel challenged when first learning to focus on what you want, it gets easier. Plus, the rewards are spectacular when you can do it consistently. You'll start to notice that your life seems as if you can change it at will, which you can.
2. Visualize. Read your vision statement 2-3 times a day and imagine that aspect of your life matches your vision perfectly. How does your vision make you feel? Are you really excited and enthusiastic? Is it appealing to you on all levels? This shouldn't take more than 60 seconds to do each time.
3. Refine. If you feel terrific about your vision, that's great. If not, now is the time to make some alterations. Continue refining the image of your dream life until doing your visualization feels spectacular. Re-write each new version.
At this point, you may be wondering when this process ever ends. Fortunately, it never ends. Your vision will forever change slightly throughout your life, which is good since your desires will also change over time.
4. Review your vision daily and ensure that it continues to attract you. This will rapidly usher change into your life. In turn, these changes will demonstrate that you're actually moving towards that vision.
5. Create separate vision statements for all the areas of your life. Consider your finances, relationships, adventure, health, social life, and spirituality. If you can get all these visions to look just the way you want, imagine what your life will look like!
Why Spend Time On This Process?
Consider all the things you do every day. Everything you do is either helping you reach your vision or helping someone else reach theirs. Wouldn't you rather help yourself reach yours?
Creating a vision is the first step to creating the life you desire. Tweak your visions a couple of times a day and really focus on the experience of living that vision. This gets easier all the time because imagining something enjoyable is pleasurable in itself.
Don't hesitate; create your visions today. Then, start reviewing and improving them immediately. Your life will change rapidly for the better. You'll then be spending your time making your own visions a reality instead of making someone else's dream come true.